5. Huevos Rancheros with Guacamole
- 4 large handfuls of spinach, roughly chopped
- 4 eggs
- 1 large handful of fresh coriander, leaves and
- stalks roughly chopped
- 1 small handful of grated mature Cheddar
For the tomato sauce
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 tablespoon ghee or coconut oil
- 2 garlic cloves, diced
- 2 red peppers, halved lengthways, deseeded and sliced into strips
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- A pinch of cayenne pepper or finely diced fresh red chilli, to taste
- 2 x 400g tins of tomatoes or 800g fresh tomatoes
- 200ml water (100ml if using fresh tomatoes)
- Sea salt and black pepper
For the guacamole
- 1 large ripe avocado
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- Juice of ½–1 lime
- 2 spring onions or 1 small handful of fresh
- chives, chopped
- 1 handful of fresh coriander leaves, chopped
1 First make the tomato sauce. Fry the onion in the ghee or coconut oil over a medium heat for about 8minutes, stirring occasionally, until softened.
2 Add the garlic, peppers, bay leaves and spices to the pan and cook for another 2minutes.
3 Add the tomatoes and water, season generously with salt and pepper, then stir everything together and leave to simmer for 10 minutes until reduced to a thick, rich sauce.
4 Meanwhile, make the guacamole. Halve and stone the avocado, then scoop out the flesh and roughly chop. Place in a bowl and stir in all the remaining ingredients and some seasoning. Set aside.
5 Check the seasoning of the tomato sauce, adding extra salt, pepper and cayenne/chilli as needed, then stir through the spinach and cook for a few minutes until just wilted.
6 Use a spatula or spoon to make four wells in the tomato sauce mixture and crack an egg into each. The eggs will poach in the sauce and cook in about 4 minutes (lid on) for set whites and runny yolks.
7 Scatter over the coriander and cheese. Serve immediately (as the eggs will keep cooking) with big heaped spoonfuls of guacamole on top.
Extracted from Good + Simple by Jasmine and Melissa Hemsley (Ebury Press, £25). All recipes are nutrient-rich, gluten, grain and refined sugar-free.