As Dominique Ansel opens his bakery in London this week, why not try this mini madeleine recipe from his book Dominique Ansel: Secret Recipes from the World Famous Bakery.
(makes about 100 mini madeleines)
Preparation and Cooking time: 10-15 minutes
95g granulated sugar
15g raw sugar
120g all purpose flour
4g baking powder
140g whole eggs
Zest of 1 whole lemon
Powdered sugar (for serving)
- Melt the butter and add in the raw sugar and honey.
- Mix together the salt, granulated sugar, flour, baking powder in a bowl. Add in the eggs at room temperature.
- Add in the melted butter and raw sugar mixture and the lemon zest. Mix together everything until evenly incorporated.
- Leave the batter to rest for a few hours prior to usage.
- When ready for service, prepare the madeleine mould by spraying it liberally with a non-stick cooking oil. Pipe the madeleine batter into the mould and cook at 190 degrees centigrade until it is golden brown and puffed in the centre (approximately 4 minutes).
- To unmold, simply knock the madeleine pan against a table top.
- Sprinkle with sifted powdered sugar.
Recipe by Dominique Ansel (www.dominiqueansellondon.com)