Give Gordon Ramsay’s borlotti bean minestrone recipe a go, it’s a healthy and delicious soup perfect for this season.
Gordon Ramsay’s Borlotti Bean Minestrone
- 2 tbsp olive oil, plus a little extra to drizzle (optional)
- 2 onions, peeled and chopped
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and chopped
- 1 celery stick, trimmed and chopped
- Sea salt and black pepper
- Few thyme sprigs
- 1 bay leaf
- 80g smoked back bacon, trimmed of fat and chopped
- 2 tbsp tomato puree
- 2 x 400g tins borlotti beans, rinsed and drained
- 150g cherry tomatoes, halved
- 600-800ml chicken stock or water
- 75g spaghetti, broken into small pieces
- Large handful of basil, finely shredded
- Parmesan, for grating (optional)
- Heat the olive oil in a large pan and add the onions, carrots, celery and some seasoning. Stir frequently over a medium-high heat for 6-8 minutes until the vegetables are beginning to soften.
- Add the thyme, bay leaf and bacon. Increase the heat slightly and cook, stirring, for another 2 minutes. Stir in the tomato puree and cook for another minute.
- Tip in the borlotti beans and cherry tomatoes, then pour in the chicken stock or water to cover. Bring to a gentle simmer.
- Add the spaghetti and cook for 10 minutes. Taste and adjust the seasoning.
- To serve, ladle into warm soup bowls and scatter over the shredded basil. If you wish, add a restrained drizzle of olive oil and grate a little Parmesan over each portion. Serve with chunks of rustic country bread.