If you prefer something savoury on Pancake Day, try this delicious recipe from Tom Kitchin with smoked salmon and cream cheese…
125g plain flour
1 level teaspoon cream of tartar
Half level teaspoon bicarbonate soda
4 fluid oz milk
Half teaspoon of butter (melted)
1. Sift the flour, bicarb and cream of tartar into a bowl
2. Beat the egg separately and then stir into dry ingredients, with enough milk to make batter like a thick cream
3. The mixing should be done as quickly and lightly as possible, do not beat it
4. Drop spoon full’s of the mixture on a hot, lightly greased griddle
5. Keep it at a steady heat and when bubbles form and burst, flip the pancake over
6. Wrap the pancakes in a clean tea towel until required
For the garnish
20 slices smoked salmon
100g Katy Rodgers crowdie cheese
1 baby gem lettuce
1 lemon cut into 4 wedges
20g brown shrimp
Pickled red onion
1. Place the smoked salmon on the pancakes and garnish with a quenelle of crowdie.
2. Add the pickled red onion, baby gem and brown shrimp.
3. Sprinkle with dill and cracked black pepper.