The lovely Jasmine and Melissa Hemsley share a recipe from their new book, Good + Simple… Try this delicious and healthy fudge recipe by Hemsley & Hemsley this season.
The Hemsley sisters have been at the forefront of the healthy food scene for years now. The reason they are so successful, is because this way of eating really isn’t anything new to them. It’s the way the sisters were brought up, and thankfully, it is delicious and simple.
Tahini Date Fridge Fudge by Hemsley & Hemsley
Makes about 18 squares
- 85g (about 1/2 mugful) of pitted dates (chewy dried dates rather than the larger soft ones), or to taste.
- 110g (about 1/2 mugful) light tahini (make sure it doesn’t contain emulsifiers)
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil, at room temperature, or extra-virgin olive oil
- Sea salt flakes
- 1 tablespoon white sesame seeds or desiccated coconut, to decorate (optional)
- Line a small baking tin – about 11cmx 17cm– or similar-sized container (we use a glass lunchbox) with baking parchment.
- Slice one of the dates finely and set aside to decorate the top of the fudge. Place the rest of the dates in a food processor with the tahini, coconut oil or EVOO and 1⁄8 teaspoon of salt flakes and blend to a smooth, thick paste. Taste and add more salt if desired.
- Transfer the mixture to the prepared tin and use a spatula to press the mixture down evenly.
- Decorate the top with the date slices and a sprinkle of sesame seeds or desiccated coconut (if using), pour over any leftover oil from the food processor and press down gently.
- Freeze or chill in the fridge until firm – about 15 minutes in the freezer and 30 minutes in the fridge. Slice into squares, then store in the fridge or freezer. Eat chilled/frozen straight from the fridge/freezer.
You can upgrade to the more nutritious dark tahini which has a bitter flavour, if you like. This keeps really well in the fridge or freezer, so make double!