St Patrick’s Day Recipe: Ashford Castle’s Bread and Butter Pudding
Recipe: Ashford Castle’s Bread and Butter Pudding
- 500ml cream
- 1 vanilla pod or 1 tsp of vanilla extract
- 3 whole eggs
- 3 egg yolks
- 3 tbsp of golden sugar
- 500g of 2-day old brioche
- 75g butter
- 75g peanut butter
- 3 bananas (sliced)
- 75g currants
- 1 measure of Baileys Irish Cream
- Zest of ½ lemon
- 2x tbsp of demerera sugar
- Preheat the oven to 160°C.
- Pour the Baileys over the currants to soak.
- Heat the milk with vanilla and lemon to just off the boil and remove from the heat. Leave to infuse .
- Slice the brioche into 1cm slices and spread the butter on one side and peanut butter on the other and set to one side.
- Next, make your custard by whisking together the eggs, yolks and golden sugar and then slowly whisk in the infused milk.
- Grease an oven-friendly dish or four ramekins with some butter.
- Press a slice of bread firmly into the bottom of the dish or ramekin and arrange the bananas on top of the bread, followed by a sprinkling of Baileys, currants and a ladle of custard.
- Repeat step seven until the bowl is almost full.
- Sprinkle with demerara sugar and cook in a bain-marie for 20 minutes.
- Serve with generous lashings of vanilla ice cream or lemon curd.
TOP TIP: Treat yourself to a chilled glass of Baileys Irish Cream on the rocks to wash it down – St. Paddy’s Day style!
You might also like...