Recipe: Chenot Palace Weggis’ Olive and Caper-Stuffed Gnocchi
Recipe: Olive and Caper-Stuffed Gnocchi with Basil Pesto, Almond Cream and Seared Pumpkin
We dial up the aesthetic appeal of this classic Italian dish with a colourful trio of handmade gnocchi filled with a Mediterranean inspired burst of delectable flavours. Rich green, vibrant yellow and radiant pink sits on a delicate almond cream accented by bright pops of herby basil pesto and orange pumpkin. A gourmet catwalk of taste guaranteed to awaken the five senses and delight like-minded dinner soirée invitees.
- 250g potatoes, unpeeled, whole
- 53g potato starch
- 15g cooked puréed spinach
- 15g cooked puréed beetroot
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 3 strands of saffron or ½ tsp powdered saffron
- 30g capers
- 30g sun-dried tomatoes
- 30g pitted taggiasca olives
- 200g fresh basil
- 100g cold water
- 50g olive oil
- 50g cashew nuts
- ½ tsp salt
- 65g peeled almonds
- 180ml cold water
- 10ml lemon juice
- Pinch of salt
- 360g potato gnocchi
- 120g basil pesto
- 60g almond cream
- 120g seared diced Hokkaido or other thick-skinned orange pumpkin
- Boil the potatoes for 30 minutes then remove skin and mash.
- Mix the mashed potato, potato starch, salt and saffron to form a potato dough.
- Leave to rest at room temperature.
- Divide in 3 portions and mix one with spinach, one with turmeric and one with beetroot.
- Roll out the dough into small rings then form circles to create the classic gnocchi shape before adding the stuffing.
- Mix all the stuffing ingredients in a food processor for 1 minute.
- Shape into small 8g balls.
- Place in the freezer.
- Blend all the ingredients except the oil.
- Add the oil slowly to the blended mixture, pulsing to incorporate.
- Blanch the basil leaves for 30 seconds then cool in iced water to retain the colour.
- Once cooled and patted dry with kitchen towel, mix with all the other pesto ingredients in a blender for maximum 2 minutes.
- Blend all the ingredients together into a paste. If it’s too thick, add more water until desired consistency is achieved.
- Heat gently before serving. Be careful do not overheat or the cream will have split consistency.
- Steam the diced pumpkin, then pan sear it until golden in colour.
- Boil the gnocchi for 3 minutes then toss with the basil pesto with the pan, turn off the heat.
- Arrange on a plate and garnish with almond cream and broccoli florets.
You might also like...