On the hunt for vegetarian picnic recipes? This delicious veggie Scotch Egg recipe means two things – you’ll feel less guilty about eating them in droves this summer and you’ll please all the vegetarians too…
Vegetarian Scotch Egg Recipe
The perfect switch up of a scotch egg with all of the crunchiness and just as much runny yolk. This is one to add to your vegetarian picnic recipes binder.
- 5 Clarence Court eggs
- 400g can of chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 2 spring onions
- 2 tbsps tahini
- ½ tsp cumin
- ½ tsp salt
- 2 tbsp flour
- 50g breadcrumbs
- 2 tbsp sesame seeds
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Heat the oven to 180°C/350°F/Gas 5. Soft boil four eggs (five minutes should do it for a runny yolk) then plunge into ice cold water.
- Once cool, peel the shells off. In a food processor blend the chickpeas, spring onion, tahini, cumin, and salt together.
- Dust the egg with flour then wrap 1⁄4 of the chickpea mixture around the egg.
- Dust again with flour, brush with egg white then roll in breadcrumbs and sesame seeds.
- Repeat for the remaining three eggs. Brush with the olive oil, sprinkle with sea salt and bake for 10 minutes.
MORE RECIPES: Gordon Ramsay’s Borlotti Bean Minestrone | Rich Woods’ Caramelised Red Onion Manhattan| Eric Lanlard’s Raspberry and Chocolate Tart | Nancy Singleton Hachisu’s Simmered Shiitake and Sweet Potato Dish
Sign up to our Newsletter