On the hunt for meat-free picnic recipes? Try this vegetarian scotch egg alternative, made with chickpeas and flavoured with cumin and tahini.
Vegetarian Scotch Egg Recipe
The perfect switch up of a scotch egg with all of the crunchiness and just as much runny yolk. This is one to add to your vegetarian picnic recipes binder.
- 5 Clarence Court eggs
- 400g can of chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 2 spring onions
- 2 tbsps tahini
- ½ tsp cumin
- ½ tsp salt
- 2 tbsp flour
- 50g breadcrumbs
- 2 tbsp sesame seeds
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Heat the oven to 180°C/350°F/Gas 5. Soft boil four eggs (five minutes should do it for a runny yolk) then plunge into ice cold water.
- Once cool, peel the shells off. In a food processor blend the chickpeas, spring onion, tahini, cumin, and salt together.
- Dust the egg with flour then wrap 1⁄4 of the chickpea mixture around the egg.
- Dust again with flour, brush with egg white then roll in breadcrumbs and sesame seeds.
- Repeat for the remaining three eggs. Brush with the olive oil, sprinkle with sea salt and bake for 10 minutes.