Royal Ascot runs from 20-24 June 2017, and if you’ve bagged tickets to the royal enclosure, you’d better brush up on the style rules. Make sure you comply with the Royal Ascot dress code 2017 with this year’s official video. Find out what to wear to Royal Ascot, and make sure you don’t make any fashion faux pas at one of the season’s biggest events…
Royal Ascot 2017 Official Dress Code
Watch the video from Ascot Racecourse, below.
Ascot is always a bastion of summer fashion in Britain. But it’s about much more than large, floppy hats, and fine silk ties. Although they’re rather important… The Berkshire racecourse this year partners with BOSS and Bond Street’s Fenwick department store to put together 2017’s guide.
Royal Enclosure Dress Code
Download the full Ascot dress code here but some of the key points for Royal Ascot are as follows:
Royal Ascot Dress Code for Ladies
- ‘Dresses and skirts should be of modest length’ – only dresses falling just above the knee or longer will be permitted, so pack away that minidress for another day.
- ‘Dresses and tops should have straps of one inch or greater.’ – No strapless, off-the-shoulder, halter or spaghetti straps, ladies.
- ‘Jackets and pashminas may be worn’ – but don’t think they’re the answer to your strapless dress issue. What’s underneath should still be regulation.
- ‘Trouser suits are welcome’ – but they should be of matching fabric and full length to the ankle.
- ‘Jumpsuits are welcome’ – but should likewise be full length and with strap restrictions identical to dresses and tops.
- ‘Hats should be worn’ – or a headpiece with a solid base of four inches or greater. Absolutely no fascinators.
Royal Ascot Dress Code for Gentlemen
- ‘It is a requirement to wear either black or grey morning dress’.
- This must include a waistcoat and tie. No cravats.
- ‘A black or grey top hat’ (Top hats by Oliver Brown are available at 75 Lower Sloane Street, oliverbrown.org.uk) These must not be embellished with bands or ribbons within the Royal Enclosure.
- Black shoes.
Have you heard of our newsletter?