As a nation of tea lovers, many of us feel we can’t get through the day without a cuppa (or 10). But fear not; your afternoon cuppa may be better for you than you thought. From nutritional to psychological benefits, this National Tea Day we encourage you to put the kettle on. Faith Toogood, nutritionist for Make Your Switch, tells us five benefits of drinking tea.
- ANTIOXIDANTS Tea contains antioxidants, which work to prevent the body’s version of rust and thus help to keep us young and protect us from damage from pollution.
- CALORIE-FREE It’s a great no-calorie alternative to water which means you’re able to hydrate with something other than water alone.
- DESTRESS Sometimes excessive stress and anxiety may cause sleeplessness. Certain types of tea including chamomile and peppermint not only reduce stress and anxiety, but also helps treat insomnia and have great benefits in relaxing the muscles and reducing irritability.
- FLAVOUR Cooking with tea is an adventure in new flavours and aromas. It is an excellent introduction to the vast variety in the world of tea.
- HEALTH There is evidence that green tea and chamomile tea can help strengthen the immune system. While the effect may be minimal, both are also loaded with powerful antioxidants unique to each tea.
READ MORE: How to Drink Tea / Matcha Green Tea / Loose Leaf Vs Tea Bags / Best Afternoon Teas in London